Monday, November 30, 2009

Zen and the Art of Bicycle Riding

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Current mood: tired
Category: Religion and Philosophy

I have come to realise that I am at my happiest (with the exception of when my daughter visits) when riding my bike. Maybe it reminds me of a time in my youth of pedaling my Schwinn Stingray with the banana seat and 'sissy bar' around my San Diego neighborhood in the hot breezes of Summer. Nowadays I rack up 8000 miles a year riding my Cannondale road bike around the streets of San Diego and the 'hills' of the East County.

Today I met up with a couple friends from my cycling club Big Ring Racing/Dewalt to pre-ride the road race course for the June 24th race. Many cyclists come up with various excuses why that can't come out and join you on the Boulevard race course. It scares the non-climbers with it's multiple climbs with as much as 7% grade. We were supposed to ride the first lap of two 'easy' to warm up and the hammer the second lap. Well I guess it was 'easy' if you define easy as 25mph into a 15 mph headwind! Ugh. I hung onto the wheels and waited for the climbs. Considering I have not done a sustained climb in over two months and have done very little 'intensity' lately while getting over the 'crud' that went around and nursing what is possibly a tear in my hamstring on my right leg it went really well. 19 mph average for 44.8 miles with half of that climbing :)

Damn I love this sport!!

Currently listening:
Live in Europe 1964
By Howling Wolf
Release date: 09 May, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

Followers