Monday, November 30, 2009

How I worship

I am a devout agnostic.

Now that does not mean I am not a spiritual person. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

My Cathedral is the open expanse of smooth blacktop laid out like a ribbon through the city and back country of San Diego.

I pray on an alter of carbon fiber and aluminum.

I read from the book of CycleSport and Road Magazine

My sacramental wine is has a distinctly lemon-lime taste and comes in 20oz bottles with HEED icons emblazoned upon their sides.

I suffer the pain of crucifixion on the 10%+ grades of Laguna, Palomar and Honey Springs Road while the heat of Summer bakes my skin.

I sacrifice my needs and wants for others in the form of setting Tempo and chasing down breaks on group rides named McDonald's and Donut for I am at heart a true domestique.

I pedal endlessly even when my body screams to stop for it is that purity of the moment when you exist simply to breathe and turn the pedals while you can feel your heart beating in your ears that you realize what really matters in life. And that is pushing your physical self farther than you ever thought possible to unleash the intangible thing that makes you who you are and realizing you are so much more than you or anyone else can imagine.

Merckx, Hinault, Hamilton, Phinney, Armstrong, Ullrich are my saviour and I get on my bike and ride to worship everyday in the house of Merckx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

Followers